Wednesday 9 March 2011

Mimico, the new Kensington Market

So it begins...

In the period of just a few weeks I have gone from being a small town bumpkin to a swinging metropolitan man of intrigue, fully equipped with a new fangled mobile device (647-297-3834) and a swanky basement apartment. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten my humble roots. I got the cheapest of all possible plans which gives me unlimited text messages, plus unlimited local calling between the hours of 3-6pm (if you would like to call me from afar Robyn has an unlimited plan so give me a ring at 647-774-4264 on her phone). Also, the basement apartment is hardly befitting a man of my stature and reputation. It is lacking a few of the basic amenities to which I had become accustom in Prince George.

One such amenity is headroom. The ceiling in the living room, which conveniently doubles as my bedroom, is 5 feet 9.5 inches. However, inconveniently for me I stand at just over 5 feet 10 inches tall. I have given myself a few good whacks, but with each one am that much closer to learning not to do it again. The amenities missing in the kitchen are many, but to name just a few they include: a full sized fridge (we have two mini fridges - one in the kitchen, the other in the hallway entrance), a second sink, a dishwasher, counter space, an oven, drawers (there are 2), and a stove (there are two elements built into the sink/fridge unit). Luckily if you are cooking and don't want to walk very far to the toilet in the case of an emergency, the bathroom is attached to kitchen. Luxury living at its finest.


For those of you familiar with the Toronto area, I live at the intersection of Royal York and Lakeshore Blvd. West in the suburb of New Toronto in Mimico, just west of Etobicoke.  This area has been described to me by a local Torontonian as "spiritual death" on account of its geographic isolation from anything interesting and the fact that it is too far for anyone to visit. One highlight of living where I do is that I am literally across the street from Lake Ontario. When it hasn't been too cold I have been jogging through the many parks which litter the beaches of the lake like, well, like litter on the beaches of Lake Ontario. In all honesty, it is very beautiful and getting around is as simple as it could be because the Queen St. streetcar passes in front of the house (the basement shakes every 15 minutes when it goes by), and we are only 7 minutes by bus to the TTC Bloor line.

Keep an eye on this page for other quips and musing about my shenanigans and high-jinx in the big city of Toronto. Given that I am currently unemployed, I have no excuse not to post regularly.

1 comment:

  1. I read this for the first time tonight & cried I laughed so hard... please write more funny, less laundry list.

    ReplyDelete